Community

BG school district paying the price for state saying it is wealthy

By JAN LARSON McLAUGHLIN BG Independent News There are few items that all sides in the Bowling Green City Schools’ funding dilemma agree on, except this – the district is being seriously shortchanged by the state. That theory was emphasized again Saturday during a school board workshop on levy funding. David Conley, a consultant with Rockmill Financial Inc., showed the board just how messed up the state’s formula is for determining a school district’s wealth. The state lists Bowling Green as the 101st wealthiest out of 612 districts in the state. Based on local property values, divided by the number of students, the district has an average value per pupil of $213,005. That “faulty” formula therefore ranks Bowling Green as wealthier than some districts recognized for their richness – Worthington, New Albany, Olentangy, Avon, Springboro and Shaker Heights. Locally, that formula assigns BG as a wealthier district than Ottawa Hills, Perrysburg and Sylvania. “We receive less per student than Ottawa Hills,” board member Norm Geer said. “If they were to build a school building, they would get more money than us,” Superintendent Francis Scruci said. Conley concurred. Operating funds from the state average 44 percent of district operating expenses. In Bowling Green’s case, that is 32 percent. Not taken into consideration is the fact that Bowling Green’s district is huge – about the size of the city of Pittsburgh, Conley said. It contains Bowling Green State University, which is exempt from property taxes, and a large area of fertile farmland. Fighting the state is futile The district can dispute its ranking – but that is unlikely to do anything other than waste time, Conley said. “This is what we have. We’re living with it and doing our best,” Conley said voters need to realize. So based on the current state funding formula, someone will suffer. It will either be the taxpayers who are being asked to foot more of the bill than they should be – or students who will not benefit from new or renovated schools and operating budgets. Of course, there are multiple ways to view this situation,…

Chocolate Crawl brings out competitive nature in choco-holics

By JAN LARSON McLAUGHLIN BG Independent News My husband, a runner, does not understand the skill and stamina required to complete a “Chocolate Crawl.” He cannot comprehend how an event called a “crawl” is athletic. But this year’s Chocolate Crawl went from 16 business participants last year to 42 this year. As far as I’m concerned, that is like going from a 5K to a marathon. My husband also has no respect for the training regimen it takes leading up to the annual event held in downtown Bowling Green as a fundraiser for United Way during the city’s Winterfest. And he refuses to acknowledge that there is a technique: Gloves slow you down. No matter how cold it is, repeated removal and replacement of gloves cuts into your finish time. The harsh reality is, some places will run out of chocolates before feeding all 500 participants.Hydrate. Take advantage of the stores offering the chocolate smoothies, the chocolate “buzz” rum shots, the hot chocolate and the chocolate shooters which threw in a shot of espresso so “crawlers” could maintain their pace.Use the buddy system. When you are eating chocolate on the crawl, you need a true friend who will tell you if your face is covered in hastily eaten chocolate. (Thank you, Julie.)Accessorize with a bag, since consuming all the chocolate on site is not advisable.Consult the downtown map occasionally to make sure you stay on course and don’t miss chocolate stops. Robin Cross, of Bowling Green, was going strong as she started the Chocolate Crawl Friday evening. She had just stopped in at SamB’s for one of the true delicacies on the crawl route – a Belgian chocolate truffle dipped in Columbian white chocolate with an Amareno cherry on top. “It’s my favorite so far,” Cross said. Of course, she hadn’t turned down the more common chocolate treats of the Hershey variety. The lure of chocolate was enough to get her out in the cold. “It’s for a good cause … and you gotta love chocolate,” she said. Charlotte Perlaky, 10, of Sylvania, dips into the chocolate fountain at Waddington…

BG school task force wades through forecast numbers

By JAN LARSON McLAUGHLIN BG Independent News David Conley used the same numbers to convince a different audience Thursday evening that Bowling Green City School District faces tough times ahead if steps aren’t taken to stabilize district revenue. Conley, a financial consultant from Rockmill Financial Inc., was planning to go over funding options for renovated or new school buildings with the district’s finance task force. But he never got past discussion of the district’s five-year budget and the current funding structure. Though the numbers were the same, the focus of this meeting was a little different. Conley has been meeting with the board of education to explain the district’s current tax levy situation and how to change it to help shore up the budget. The message to the finance task force was more an explanation of why the district needs to renew the tax revenue it generates now, and why it will likely need more in the near future. The district faces the possibility of having five tax levies on the ballot in three to five years. Three are current levies that will need to be renewed, one would be a new levy for operating funds, and one would potentially be to fund new or renovated buildings. “We have a fairly daunting task ahead of us as a community,” Conley said. “Your taxing model give me a headache – and I do this for a living,” he said. So the school board is working on tidying up its taxing model. But it’s the finance task force’s job to come up with the best funding model for building plans being formed by the facilities task force. Earlier this week, the facilities task force seemed to narrow down its choices to three building options, with the following cost estimates: One new consolidated elementary for all 1,416 students: $36.1 million now; $39 million in a year.Renovate all three elementaries: $28.4 million now; $31.3 million in a year.Build a new Conneaut, a new Kenwood, and renovate Crim: $34.3 million now; $38.3 million in a year. The finance task force must look at the best…

BG proposes taking a walk on the wide side-walks

By JAN LARSON McLAUGHLIN BG Independent News It is widely recognized that wider sidewalks are better for pedestrians. So the city of Bowling Green is looking at changing its standards for sidewalks – making them easier for people to use if they are walking side by side, or if the come across someone from the other direction. Public Works Director Brian Craft has suggested that the city change its required sidewalk widths from 4 to 5 feet. The extra foot would be taken from the city right-of-way. A public hearing on the width change will be held April 3, at 7 p.m., giving the public an opportunity to weigh in on the provision with the city planning commission. The matter will then proceed to the City Council for a decision, said City Planning Director Heather Sayler. The new wider sidewalks would become part of the city’s subdivision regulations, and would be required for all new sidewalks. Sidewalks already in place will not be replaced with wider walkways unless large portions of a sidewalk are being redone, Craft said. The city has already been installing the wider sidewalks on major corridors for the past two decades. Sidewalks on streets such as East and West Wooster, North and South Main, and East and West Poe are already five-foot wide for “improved efficiency and safety pedestrian movement.” More recent improvements of widening sidewalks have been made on Conneaut and Fairview near City Park, and along routes to the middle school and high school. The city installed at least a five-foot wide walk in these areas, since it is recognized that a four-foot sidewalk is too narrow when pedestrians going in the opposite direction meet, Craft stated. This is especially true when a pedestrian is using a wheelchair or other assisted mobility device, he pointed out. This push for wider sidewalks is also being made by the Toledo Metropolitan Area Council of Governments. The theory of the “complete streets” proposals is that wider sidewalks are one element to providing safe and efficient connections between destinations. The theory also is that walking can be a…

Conneaut teacher makes connections with students

By JAN LARSON McLAUGHLIN BG Independent News Fifth grade teacher Paul Reinhart revealed a secret on Thursday that he has learned over and over during his 26 years in education. Students are far more important than their test scores. “Kids do not equal their test scores,” Reinhart said. That is one of many beliefs that earned Reinhart, a teacher at Conneaut Elementary, the honor of being named an “inspirational educator” by the Bowling Green Kiwanis Club. Reinhart described his journey to Bowling Green City Schools. He grew up in North Dakota, where they have real winters, and graduated in the top half of his class of 15 students. He was involved in everything – football, basketball, baseball, music, theater. That paid off for him when he started teaching, since back then elementary classes were self-contained. “You needed to be a jack of all trades,” he said. Reinhart was hired to teach second grade by Conneaut Principal Ted Eldridge. “I liked them. They’re short,” Reinhart, who stands at “5-foot 15 inches,” said of the second graders. In 2000 he moved to fifth grade where he teaches math and language arts. He is a big fan of children’s literature, and was once asked if he would read a grown-up book. No need. “I love me some children’s literature,” he said with a grin. And as for math … Reinhart doesn’t accept that someone might not be a “math person.” “You don’t know how to do math – yet,” he said. Reinhart apologized to the Kiwanis members who did poorly at math in school because the teacher said math problems were done “one way or the highway.” “The joy of math is there are so many ways to solve a problem,” he said. “The stinky part of math is there are so many ways to solve a problem.” Reinhart is big on letting students make mistakes. That is a vital part of the learning process, he said. “It’s OK to fail and screw up,” he said. And that includes Reinhart. “I’m a teacher who wants to learn. I’m not satisfied where I’m at….

School task force confronts sticker shock for building costs

By JAN LARSON McLAUGHLIN BG Independent News One of the Bowling Green City Schools task forces encountered some sticker shock Wednesday evening. For the first time, the facilities task force members got a peek at how much it might cost to accomplish some of the plans they are considering for the city’s elementary schools. The lowest estimated price tag – for renovating all three elementaries – was $28.4 million. The highest price tag – for building one new large and one small elementary, plus repurposing Crim – was $41 million. The top three options according to task force member voting are: Build one new consolidated elementary.Build a new Conneaut, a new Kenwood, and renovate Crim.Renovate all three elementaries. The facilities task force has been charged with the duty of finding the best solution for Bowling Green’s school buildings that voters will support. The leaders of the task force – architects and a former school administrator from the firm Fanning Howey – asked the task force members if they were ready to send those top options on to the finance task force whose job it is to determine how the district can pay for the projects. Former school board member Ellen Scholl objected. She questioned the comprehensiveness of task force votes, and suggested that the school district needs to survey the community on its desire for buildings. “The numbers we’re getting here don’t correspond with the people I’ve talked to,” Scholl said. But another task force member, Frances Brent, noted that a community survey was already conducted. The results of that survey led to the first two school bond issues that were rejected by voters. Another task force member, Jean Suelzer, said the task force members have toured Bowling Green’s schools and other districts’ buildings. She questioned how community members who haven’t seen the schools and sat through the task force meetings could make educated decisions. “People have to know what is out there before they take a survey,” Suelzer said. Brent agreed, saying that she had no idea Bowling Green was so far behind in school technology until she went…

BG students and community team up for magic of reading

By JAN LARSON McLAUGHLIN BG Independent News The second graders at Crim Elementary inched in as close as possible as their teacher sat down in the rocking chair with a new book. They leaned in, some bouncing with excitement, as Stacey Higgins cracked open the magic of the new book, “Kenny and the Dragon.” This is the moment that teachers love – when children are visibly enthused about reading. And this is the moment that is recreated each year with the 1BookBG program that unifies all the elementaries and the community in reading one storybook. “It’s the community experience – to see our schools and community work on this together is wonderful,” Higgins said. Every elementary student family is given a copy of the book – this year being “Kenny and the Dragon” by Tony DiTerrlizi. For the next month, students will be reading it at school and with their families at home. And businesses throughout the community will offer trivia questions on the book. “I love reading,” said second grader Liam Walsh. “I like that reading helps me get smarter. All I want to get is smarter.” Walsh had big plans Monday to go home and read the first four chapters. “I’ll read literally all day,” he said. Kenley Mangold and Mason Naus check out their new books. His classmates Kenley Mangold and Mason Naus were paging through their new books, professing their love for reading. “I read every book every day,” Kenley said of her book collection at home. “I keep telling my mom I need more books.” Naus was particularly excited because DiTerrliz is one of his favorite authors. “I have two bookshelves, actually three,” Naus said. “I need more bookshelves.” Each year, the 1BookBG books are purchased with donations from PTOs, community organizations and local businesses. This year the district is holding a “family night” on Thursday at the middle school, from 6 to 8 p.m., for activities involving the 1BookBG. The goal is to bring the families of the community together to celebrate literacy and build connections between the schools.   Out in the community,…

BG family finds a place to call home with Habitat for Humanity

By JAN LARSON McLAUGHLIN BG Independent News As Marlene Lerch and her family stood in their new kitchen, they were enveloped by family, friends and strangers who helped build their home. “I had no idea, all these people would be here,” said Lerch’s daughter, Audrey, a senior at Bowling Green High School. But Bowling Green had waiting a long time for Tuesday – 25 years in fact. So they weren’t about to miss this celebration of the first Habitat for Humanity home built in Bowling Green. “This is huge,” said Mark Ohashi, executive director of Habitat for Humanity of Wood County. “This is what we’ve been looking to do since Maxine Miller started this.” After building 39 homes throughout Wood County, Habitat finally constructed a home in Bowling Green. “This is a dream come true,” Ohashi said. The dream now belongs to Lerch, who has lived for 10 years in a local manufactured home park. She dreamed of finding a better home for her three children. She finally found it near the corner of Manville and Clough streets. “It’s really exciting,” Lerch said as she gazed at her new living room packed with guests. “This is the new beginning for my life. A new chapter – just to have a home,” that is warm and safe, she said. Audrey, Eric and Jeremiah Lerch check out their new home. Lerch and her daughter put sweat equity into their new home. “Me and my mom came every Saturday,” to work and during the week to pickup, Audrey said. That gave Audrey plenty of time to imagine how she will arrange her bedroom when they move in on Thursday. “I have it all set up in my head,” she said, as she stood in her empty bedroom. Next door, her brother Eric, 12, was checking out his bedroom. While the Lerch family gets the home, the rest of the community gets the good feeling of doing something good. “It was really an amazing blend of partnerships,” Ohashi said of the project. One of the first partners was the city of Bowling Green, whose…

Long, hard road – city bike commission recommends sharrows and bike lanes

By JAN LARSON McLAUGHLIN BG Independent News The city’s Bicycle Safety Commission peddled a report Monday evening that may result in more bike sharrows being imprinted onto pavement, and bike lanes being added to some streets. After years of the community spinning wheels, Steve Langendorfer and his commission met with City Council’s Transportation and Safety Committee to present infrastructure that could make bicyclists more comfortable and more likely to use city streets. The city has already worked with Yay Bikes, an education program helping bicyclists learn their responsibilities and their rights on roadways. Education is the least expensive step to encourage bicycling in Bowling Green. “Bike riders are as entitled to the road as cars,” Langendorfer said. However, education only goes so far – and reasonably priced and rationally prioritized infrastructure may be the next step. Langendorfer presented the council committee with lists of city streets where sharrows would be helpful for bicyclists. Sharrows, the icons that look like bikes and arrows, have already been applied to portions of Fairview and Conneaut avenues. They are a much less expensive solution than actual bike lanes. With fiscal and physical limitations in mind, the Bicycle Safety Commission recommended adding sharrows to the following north-south streets in the city: North and South Wintergarden Road, from Poe to Sand Ridge.North and South Maple Street, from Conneaut to Sand Ridge.Fairview Avenue, north of Poe (south of Poe already has sharrows.)North and South Grove Street, from Poe to Sand Ridge.North and South Church Street, from Clay to Sand Ridge, and Kenwood Avenue, from Sand Ridge to Napoleon.North and South Prospect Street, and/or North and South Enterprise, from Poe to Lehman.Thurstin Avenue, from Poe to East Wooster, and Manville Avenue, from East Wooster to East Napoleon.North College Avenue, south of Poe Road, and South College Avenue, from Main to Napoleon. Sharrows were also recommended for the following east-west city streets: West and East Newton Road, from Community Center to North College Avenue.Frazee Avenue, west of North College.East Merry Avenue, from Thurstin to Mercer Road.Clay and East Ridge, from Main to Mercer.West Wooster Street from Wintergarden to Haskins…

BG school board eyes options – may try 2 levy renewals this fall

By JAN LARSON McLAUGHLIN BG Independent News Remember story problems? Three old trains are barreling toward Bowling Green, while two new trains are headed toward the same location at the same time. Only this story problem doesn’t ask which train will arrive first at the station. The question behind this story problem is – which trains will voters get on board and support at the polls. Bowling Green Board of Education spent another long Saturday work session going over its options for dealing with a potential five tax issues going before voters in the next two to four years. It appears the board may be narrowing its options to possibly putting two renewal levies on the ballot this fall. David Conley, the district’s financial consultant from Rockmill Financial, used the train analogy so the board could visualize the three existing tax issues coming due in the district. One option, he said was merging two of the trains onto one track – or in this case, combining two tax levies into one issue. While the plan to reduce tax requests on voters was attractive, some board members were clearly leaning toward biting the bullet and asking instead that voters to approve two existing levies for a continuing period of time. Where does BG stand right now … Here’s a refresher on the levies coming due for the school district: 4.2-mill current expense levy, generating about $2.4 million a year, which expires in 2020.1.6-mill emergency levy, generating about $1 million a year, which also expires in 2020.0.5 percent income tax, generating about $3.2 million a year, expiring in 2022. Those add up to $6.8 million a year. Failure to renew those would hit the district hard, Conley said. At the same time, Bowling Green needs new money (those are the new trains barreling toward the station). Those options include: New operating levy, with an undetermined source of income or property tax revenue.Funding for new facilities, which Conley estimated will be anywhere from $30 million to $50 million. Again, the source of these funds may be income tax, property tax, or combination of…

BG school task force gets glimpse at renovated elementary

By JAN LARSON McLAUGHLIN BG Independent News The school task force had toured Bowling Green’s old elementary buildings, and another district’s new building. In the continuing search for the best solution for Bowling Green City Schools, this week the members toured an elementary that is a combination of renovated and new construction. The facilities task force met at Powell Elementary School – North Baltimore’s one elementary that serves the entire district of 350 preschool through sixth graders. The school is a combination of wings being added and renovated. The oldest portion was built in 1956, followed by another section added in 1987. The entire elementary then went through a renovation and a building addition in 2001. More renovations were done in 2010. North Baltimore Superintendent Ryan Delaney and head custodian Chris North said the building serves the district quite well. The renovated and new areas have larger than traditional classrooms, more even heat and welcome air conditioning. In addition to being a much smaller district, there are some other differences between Bowling Green’s and North Baltimore’s situations. North Baltimore qualified for 59 percent state funding for its building construction costs. Bowling Green currently qualifies for 17 percent state funding. According to North, officials at North Baltimore had initially wanted to build a new elementary – but were informed by the Ohio Facilities Construction Commission that building new was not an option if the district wanted state funding. “The problem was, the building was in too good of shape,” North said. The same was not true for the old North Baltimore High School, which was built in 1927. A new middle school/high school was constructed in 2012. The elementary was able to be renovated and had plenty of room for the necessary additional space. “The main thing is, if you’re going to do a renovation, you have to have the room,” Delaney said. Task force tours classroom in Powell Elementary School. Powell elementary features large classrooms, with some of them having as few as 16 students per room. “The theory was – do it right. So they added the extra room,”…

Black Swamp Players casting female version of ‘The Odd Couple’

From BLACK SWAMP PLAYERS The Black Swamp Players will hold auditions for the final production of its fifty-first season, Neil Simon’s The Odd Couple (Female Version), during the week of Feb. 25. Open auditions for the production will be held on the following dates: Monday, Feb. 25 and Tuesday, Feb. 26. Auditions will begin each evening at 7 and run to 9:00 PM. Callbacks will be held on Thursday, February 28 beginning at 7:00 PM. All auditions and callbacks will be held at the First United Methodist Church on East Wooster Street in Bowling Green. The script for The Odd Couple (Female Version) calls for a cast of six women and two men. Auditions are open to adults of all ages, races/ethnicities, orientations, sexes, and abilities. Those who want to audition should be prepared to cold read from the script. First performed in 1985, The Odd Couple (Female Version) is a modern riff on Simon’s classic comedy from 1965 about the unlikely friendship between a clean freak and a slob. The female version is set in the apartment of slovenly Olive Madison who, at the opening of the play, has invited a group of friends over for a weekly game of Trivial Pursuit. Late to arrive is Florence Unger, who has just been separated from her husband. Fastidious, depressed, and hyper-tense, Florence seems suicidal, but as the action unfolds, Olive becomes the one with murder on her mind when the pair decide to room together and hilarious results ensue. The production will be directed by Heath A. Diehl. The Odd Couple (Female Version) will open on Friday, April 26 at 7:30 p.m. Additional performance dates include: Saturday, April 27, Friday, May 3, and Saturday, May 4, all at 7:30 p.m.; and Sunday, April 28 and May 5 at 2 p.m.. All performances will take place at the First United Methodist Church, 526 E. Wooster Street in Bowling Green. Tickets for the production are $12/adults, $10/seniors and students, and can be purchased on the organization’s website or at the door.

BG park board wades into debate over raising pool fees

By JAN LARSON McLAUGHLIN BG Independent News The Bowling Green Parks and Recreation Board is again being asked to raise fees at the city pool. But as long as the park programs are treading water, some board members are holding steady in their opposition to increasing pool passes and daily fees. Last September, the board voted to raise rates for several park programs by 3 percent. City Council later approved those changes. Also on the list in September for proposed fee hikes were daily and season pool passes. But at that time, park board chairman Jeff Crawford asked that the proposed increases at the pool be studied further. He spoke about his wife’s experience teaching at Crim Elementary School, where a portion of the student body is lower income. Crawford said he would like to wait and see the summer statistics at the pool to see if it’s necessary to raise fees for kids using the facility. On Tuesday evening, updated numbers were presented by Kristin Otley, director of the city’s parks and recreation department. Those rates showed increased use of the pool last summer – but a deficit in the overall parks budget, primarily due to the first payment being made on bonds for the new city park building to be constructed this year. The good season was viewed from two perspectives. For Otley, the hot summer and high usage meant that season pass owners likely felt they got their money’s worth and would be more willing to pay a little bit more this summer. But for Crawford, the good season meant that more revenue came in at the pool, so fee increases should be considered only if absolutely necessary to keep the pool afloat. Crawford again voiced his specific concerns about families who might be unable to afford seasonal or daily passes if the fees were increased. “I don’t want us to raise pool rates,” he said. “It’s a mistake to think that raising the fees will translate into more money.” Rate hikes could result in fewer people being able to afford using the pool. “I hate to…

‘Poor farm’ exhibit examines historical safety net for ‘worthy poor’

By JAN LARSON McLAUGHLIN BG Independent News Long before there were safety nets like nursing homes, food pantries, subsidized housing and hospitals, there were “poor farms” to care for those who were old, sick, lame, or blind. Despite being labeled “poor farms,” they were not places of despair, according to a new exhibit at the Wood County Historical Center. In Ohio, all 88 counties had poor farms, starting in the mid 1800s to 1936 when public charity transitioned into more modern day social services. Wood County’s poor farm was located on County Home Road, southeast of Bowling Green. The sprawling building remains there today as a historical center. To commemorate the 150th year of the opening of the county poor house, a new exhibit will soon open at the center – “For Comfort and Convenience: Public Charity in Ohio by Way of the Poor Farm.” By all accounts, Ohio’s poor farm system provided a gentler life for the old and sick than many states, according to Holly Hartlerode, curator at the historical center. Curator Holly Hartlerode with old photo of residents at former Wood County Poor Farm. “We are not the only state that had a poor farm system, but we were very successful, which we’re proud of,” she said. “It is my deepest goal as curator that people do not see places like this as negative,” Hartlerode said. When Wood County’s poor farm opened in 1869, there were no public safety nets in place. “There was no social welfare, so where did people go? How do we best care for people?” Hartlerode said, noting society’s struggle. The model for the poor farms caring for paupers came over with the colonists. Based on the British workhouse system, almshouses were erected in New England, and many state constitutions offered public charity relief. In Ohio, the almshouse system was modified to fit the needs of its citizens. After the Civil War, states began to look at the best ways to provide comfort to those in need, at the convenience of those charged with dispensation of public charities. Every county in Ohio had…

Maurers, Scruci, Christoff awarded for making BG a better place

By JAN LARSON McLAUGHLIN BG Independent News Major Bowling Green landlords, Bob and Pat Maurer, were recognized Saturday evening for sharing their wealth with the community. The Maurers were named Male and Female Outstanding Citizens of the Year at the Bowling Green Chamber of Commerce’s annual dinner. Also honored Saturday evening were two citizens for elevating women in their professions. Bowling Green Superintendent Francis Scruci was presented with the Zeus Award, and First Federal Bank Vice President Tari Christoff was given the Athena Award. The Maurers were described as “quiet and understated” – people who preferred to stay in the background as their donations made major differences to places like the Wood County District Public Library, the Wood County Hospital cancer treatment center, and BGSU’s School of Business. The couple was credited with saving historic structures like the Millikin Hotel, the old Wood County Health Department on West Wooster Street, the Carter Historic Home used now by the library. “They were brought back to life by this couple,” Tim Harris, last year’s Male Outstanding Citizen, said of the Maurers. Bob Maurer is also a supporter of the American Red Cross, sending letters out to persuade others to give to the organization following natural disasters. “He’s a true hometown hero,” said Dolores Black, last year’s Female Outstanding Citizen, who as a junior high teacher had caught Bob Maurer chewing gum in study hall decades before. The couple was thanked for their acts of kindness and generosity to the Bowling Green community. “Bob and Pat Maurer have left a legacy to the city,” Harris said. The couple was out of town and unable to attend the chamber event, but video of them accepting the award earlier was shown. “We’ve been in Bowling Green for a long, long time, and we love Bowling Green,” Pat Maurer said. And Bob Maurer said the award actually stunned him – an attorney. “My gracious,” he said, adding that he could name a dozen other people more deserving for the award. “People love Bowling Green and love our community, and so do we,” Bob Maurer said. “We’re…